Sunday, June 26, 2011

Childhood Poem (2010)

Mommy and me

Only Mommy and me
and sometimes grandparents
strolling along neighborhood sidewalks
or diving into the brisk bay
never anyone with Mommy
only me
and her
just the two of us in that spacious apartment
just the two of us to keep each other company
Mommy worked hard
and never was there not enough
we were happy
at least, I was
even without a daddy or husband
we could make it
even though he lived in another state
with different children
who I would never know
we were happy without him around
even though he never called
we had a family who loved us
unconditionally
even though people gave Mommy
disdainful, painful glances
she was strong
and I didn't notice the absence
because even though he wasn't there to love me
I knew Mommy would always be there
and even though I never knew him
I'm happy without him
people pity the little girl without her daddy
but this little girl knows
that it was better
without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment